Thursday, November 1, 2007

Closet gay?

Scene 1: Before I got on the boat and set sail to America, I was aware of only one Genre in music - "Pop". Music didn't used to be an industry in India. There was no concept of concerts, rock-stars, band-aids or any of that. Any music that was made was in integral part of a movie... (sound tracks). There have been several block buster movies with lack luster story lines. They were mega hits just cos of the sound tracks. So, anyway, the point is that anything pleasing to the ears was considered good music.

Scene 2: Delta airlines flight 1742 makes the mistake of bringing me to the U.S. of A and here I am googling what a "Genre" is (not really that fresh off the boat anymore). Your music collection has a lot to say about you and my American friends go through my music collection on the iPod once in a while and I wonder what my music had to say about me when it went from Christina Aguilera's "Genie in a Bottle" to R Kelly's "Trapped in the closet". You've guessed it! However, the chances of me being gay are as bleak as Ricky Martin being straight.

If I were to quantify by Genres... it would be hip-hop, rock, pop and others. Even though songs like "Saving me..." by Nickelback are just great, it is songs like "The way I are..." by Timbaland that I listen to more often (more's quite an understatement). I might want to do some soul-searching some day and try to find answers to questions like "Who am I?", "What am I doing with my life?" but for now it goes like this -

"Baby girl! I don't got no huge ol' house, I rent a room in a house!
Baby girl! I ain't got no motor boat... but I can float your boat!
So listen Baby girl! Once you get a dose of D.O.E, you gonna want some mo'!
Baby girl! When I make it I want you there... I want you there!"

Very well said Mr. John D.O.E.

-Kal

No comments: